Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 9: Not feelin' it!

Day 9 started off great.  We said our goodbyes to the Olsen family and set off for Castle Rock.  It was a cold day, highs in the 60's (cold for my Texas blood, Matt was lovin' it.) and with a constant wind. For some reason or another I could not muster enough energy to want to bike today.  At one point I started wishing for a flat tire just so Matt would have to stop and I could get a rest break.  Luckily for me, there were some odd things we passed that intrigued Matt enough to stop and take pictures but not without a lot of encouragement by me.  We passed a "Roadside Library" and about a 1/4 mile after we passed it, I pleaded with Matt to get off his bike and take a picture of it.  You name the excuse and I used it, from "I have to use the ladies room to I think Jet is thirsty." It seemed like we were stopping more than we were biking.  Matt quickly caught on and planned a stopping point at Lewis and Clark State Park. After our lunch break aka encouraging powwow, we realized at this point we had biked anywhere between 38-68 miles everyday for the last 8 days without a day of rest.  After reviewing our stats, I no longer felt like a wimp and we pressed on.  We rode up a long hill into Castle Rock and at the top found a sign that said "RV/Tent Resort."  We typically camp at State Parks and in Washington warm water comes at a cost.  50 cents will get you a 3 minute warm shower and if you know me, or any other human being, 3 minutes just isn't enough.  I mean really, my long hair alone takes way over 3 minutes to wash but we had decided early on that we would sacrifice long showers or hotels to spend any extra money on good food. So for the passed couple of days, with the exception of staying at the Olsen home, we had lathered up in cold water, rinsed in a 3 minute warm shower and then shared the same towel (because having two towels would weigh too much :-)).  We decided to splurge today and for only 6 more dollars we had a full grocery store, endless warm showers, a sauna, hot tub, laundry mat and a pool.   Our muscles went to bed happy as we spent the evening alternating between a cold pool and a hot tub.

Jet finally chillaxin' 

Roadside Library

Dad Swallow :-)



Taking a break while Matt took pictures.


Moss, Moss and more Moss.


Lewis and Clark State Park.


The RV/Tent Resort even had a dog shower and dog park.


1 comment:

  1. You guys are working hard and roughing it hard...don't be afraid to take those rest days and recharge your batteries or sleep in a nice bed. It's all fun and games until it's not ;)

    ReplyDelete